He also describes going for a sail at the invitation of “our friend” Mr. MacCallam (sic). Presumably this is Duncan MacCallum who owned Glen Nevis Distillery at the time of Barnard’s visit and whose obituary describes yachting as his favourite recreation (Stirk, 2005). Barnard thoroughly enjoyed the sail before being dropped near to the distillery, perhaps at the quay on the north side of the bay which was a short walk away.
Dalintober was named after the immediate area in which it was situated. The area was previously a small fishing village of that name which was absorbed, along with the adjacent village of Dalaruan, into the expanding Burgh of Campbeltown which had begun on the south side of the loch. The distillery was also an expanding enterprise, riding the boom within the town and moving from its initial small premises off Queen Street across the way to a much larger complex facing Kinloch Park.
|Old Dalintober at Queen Street|
Townsend (1993) states that they moved to a site on the park in 1868 however this seems early. The park was formed as reclaimed land from a mussel ebb in 1877-1881 and the Lochruan Distillery, having been rebuilt by new owners after 1867, is shown on an 1869 map on a site behind where Dalintober moved to and abutting the old mussel ebb. In his visit in 1885 Barnard wrongly states that the “works were erected in 1832” as this refers to the old site and the date for the new site on the park remains uncertain.
The usual detail of the malting and distilling process is described and is here presented as “the whole process of the manufacture of Campbeltown whisky which we here detail for the benefit of our readers”, although it is really no different in principal to the process for any other kind of whisky. Barnard has by now become more proficient in his understanding of distilling and the end to end process described here is a nice snapshot.
|Springbank cooling tank|
Unlike many other distilleries in Campbeltown, Dalintober remained in the same name, Reid & Colville, throughout the 1800s and right up to 1919 when it was one of five in the town purchased by West Highland Malt Distilleries. This new venture finally went into liquidation in 1927 during that dark decade for the whisky industry. Dalintober had ceased production in 1925 and was later demolished to make way for housing (Stirk, 2005), possibly in the 1930s although the exact timing is uncertain. The old Queen Street site was also demolished and today stands derelict, seemingly never redeveloped.
|Housing on site of Dalintober Distillery|
|View of town, mountains and bay from Dalintober|