The NLS map from c1850 records it as Mile-end Distillery, further down a track from the actual Provan Mill and about a mile from the small village of Millerston. It was originally licensed in 1815 as Milltown and changed name to Provanmill in 1860 under new owners.
|The Molendinar Burn at Provanmill|
The burn can still be seen beside the site of the old distillery, where it has been turned into a water feature in a play park before being piped underground. From here to the Clyde it runs through pipes and Victorian brick tunnels that can be seen in this link if you like that sort of thing.
The distillery was closed from private ownership in 1922 and demolished in 1953. Littlehill Primary School was then built on the site but that too is now gone. It was closed in 2004/05 after consolidation of schools in the area and was then vandalised and burned down in an arson attack in June 2008.
|The site of the distillery and Littlehill School|
The 1874 Factory Act required that no children under ten should be employed in a factory but this was not properly monitored until stricter controls were introduced in 1911. Prior to 1874 no children were expected to work more than 10 hours a day!!! The 1880 Education Act required all children aged 5 to 10 to go primary school.
The recent use of the site for education and child welfare reflects changes in society that were just taking root when Barnard visited the area. On the site of the old Provan Mill now stands the Molendinar Community Centre. Where once young children worked they can now go to play.